When and where is the conference?
It is set for July 4 – 8 at the Conference Center at Pitt-Johnstown, on the picturesque campus of the University of Pittsburgh at Johnstown, PA. The campus is a 650-acre mountaintop wildlife preserve with 40 acres of hiking trails. Registrants are offered two package options:
- Full Package: July 4 – 8 (five days, four nights). The program begins Wednesday afternoon (July 4).
- Weekend Package: July 6- 8 (three days, two nights). The program begins Friday evening
The education program for all packages concludes Sunday afternoon.Back To Top
What do the on campus fees include?
The on campus fees cover:
- The entire educational program, including classes, lectures, workshops and discussions. Also included are films, entertainment and use of certain athletic areas.
- Vegan meals and on-campus housing which includes a twin bed, linen and towels.
Are there discounts available?
Yes, members get $5 off, families with a family membership get a total discount of $10. Benefactor members get the registration fee waved (not room and board) For more information go to: https://navs-online.org/product/membership/
Full-time students get a $50 discount off of the full registration or $25 off the weekend.Back To Top
Are there housing choices?
Yes. You may choose:
- Non-air-conditioned traditional student housing with two rooms sharing bathroom facilities.
- Air-conditioned accommodations with private bath in the contemporary Living Learning Center.
Please note that air-conditioned housing will be assigned on a first-come, first-served basis. These accommodations will fill quickly, so please register early.Back To Top
Can I get a roommate?
NAVS can assign a roommate if you are attending alone and would like to qualify for the double-occupancy rate. If you arrange to share a room with someone, please indicate his or her name on your registration form.Back To Top
Can I stay off campus?
Yes, you can stay off campus and just register for the program without accommodations and meals. Even though the registration fees do not cover meals, they can be purchased separately.Back To Top
What will the meals be like?
There will be delicious vegan meals designed to meet a variety of diets, including gluten free* and raw food. They will be prepared under the direction of award winning chef Mark Reinfeld of Vegan Fusion.
*foods are prepared in a kitchen where gluten is used, therefore we cannot guarantee that all items are 100% gluten-freeBack To Top
What about food allergies?
The meals are prepared in a kitchen where gluten, peanuts, tree nuts, wheat, soy and other foods that are allergens for some people are used. Therefore we cannot guarantee that dishes are free of these or other potential allergens.Back To Top
Which meals are included?
Meals are provided as follows:
- FULL ON CAMPUS PACKAGE: The first meal served will be lunch on Wednesday, July 4th.
- WEEKEND ON CAMPUS PACKAGE: The first meal served will be breakfast on Saturday, July 7th.
The Saturday Farewell Dinner is included in both on campus packages. The last meal served will be lunch on Sunday, July 8th.Back To Top
When is the check in time?
- FULL PACKAGE program check-in: 10 AM – 10 PM, WEDNESDAY, July 4th
- WEEKEND PACKAGE program check-in: 5 – 11 PM, FRIDAY, July 6th
How and when do I pay?
Or you may print a hard copy of the registration form and mail it along with your payment to:
North American Vegetarian Society
PO Box 72
Dolgeville, NY 13329
When you register you have two payment options: 1) submit the total amount due or 2) submit a deposit of half of your total cost. However, all balances will be due by May 24th, 2018. Advance reservations must be paid in full before the conference starts. No personal checks will be accepted on campus.Back To Top
What is there for kids?
We offer special programs for children, youths and teens! A Children’s Center is offered for attendees aged 2-12, during most of the educational sessions. Mealtimes and evening socials are not included.Back To Top
How do I get there?
Johnstown is in southwest Pennsylvania, approximately
- 70 miles east of Pittsburgh
- 200 miles east of Cleveland
- 239 miles west of Philadelphia
- 330 miles west of New York
- 184 miles north of Baltimore
- 493 miles from Boston
There are two main options:
- Connections to the nearby Johnstown-Cambria County Airport are available through the Washington-Dulles Airport.
- The Greater Pittsburgh International Airport is 70 miles west of Johnstown. Limited shuttle service is available from and to the airport (see details below).
BUS AND TRAIN:
1) The Conference Center offers free limited local shuttle service from
the Johnstown-Cambria County Airport, bus and train stations.
2) Pittsburgh International Airport:
Limited shuttle service will be available from the Pittsburgh International Airport on Wednesday, July 4th and returning to the airport on Sunday, July 8th.
There will be two shuttles on Wednesday and two on Sunday. The departure times are as follows:
Wednesday, July 4th: Shuttle will depart the Pittsburgh International Airport at 10:30 a.m. and 2:30 p.m.
Note that it is recommended that you arrive a minimum of one hour before shuttle departure, so your flight would need to arrive no later than 9:30 a.m. in order to catch the 10:30 a.m. shuttle, and no later than 1:30 p.m. in order to catch the 2:30 p.m. shuttle.
Sunday, July 8th: Shuttle will depart the UPJ campus at 11:30 a.m. and 1:15 p.m.
Note that you will need to allow a 3 hour window in advance of your flight departure to ensure adequate time for travel and check-in at the airport. For example, if your flight were to depart at 3:15 p.m. you would need to take the 11:30 shuttle.
The cost for the round trip shuttle from and to the Pittsburgh airport is $110.00 and will take approximately 1 hr. 45 minutes each way.
3) Advance reservations for both shuttle services are required.
The campus is accessible from the Pennsylvania Turnpike via Route 219 or Interstate 80 via Route 219. UPJ is located at 450 Schoolhouse Road, Johnstown, PA 15904. You can get driving directions at Mapquest.Back To Top
Are there restrictions?
Smoking is NOT permitted in dining areas, classrooms or other public areas reserved for NAVS use. We regret that no companion animals of any kind are permitted in campus buildings, except seeing eye dogs.Back To Top
Suppose I have to cancel?
NAVS will refund your payments, minus $60 per person, for those cancellations received before May 24th. NAVS reserves the right to substantially reduce or refuse refunds after that date. Please notify NAVS as soon as possible if you must cancel. We regret that no refunds can be made for missed meals for any reason, including late arrival or early departure.Back To Top
What about fragrances?
NAVS is striving to create a fragrance-free environment in an effort to try to accommodate the medical needs of some of our attendees who have chemical sensitivities. We encourage attendees to refrain from using perfumes and colognes and consider using unscented versions of personal care products such as soaps, lotions, after shave etc. during the conference. Thank you for your cooperation.Back To Top